100 Women Tell Us What Their First Symptom Of Miscarriage Was
Wife, Mother, Blogger, Artist + Recurrent Miscarriage Survivor
All art in this post is by Kierra Butcher (@kierra_b_art)
As a miscarriage survivor myself I googled 'symptoms of miscarriage' more often then I'd like to admit. But there's just something different about hearing it from another woman whose been through it instead of some random medical journals.
When asked, here's what 100 women shared:
1. I literally had no symptoms for the 12 weeks I carried. I went to go to the bathroom and I started bleeding. I passed the fetus later on that night.
2. For the first one I had terrible back pain for days, followed by bleeding. For the second one: bleeding, followed by back pain.
3.I had some very light pink discharge. And just felt like something wasn’t right
4. My first symptom was going to the bathroom and wiping and seeing bright red blood. There were symptoms that I noticed after the fact when it came full circle like my stomach not growing and not feeling movement at all during the pregnancy. My son was stillborn at 23weeks 3 days measuring 18 weeks at birth.
5. My first symptom was losing all my pregnancy symptoms. I just felt like I wasn’t pregnant anymore and knew in my gut it was coming. It was the same way for all 3. Then the brown discharge started and then the bright blood a few days later. We are currently in our IVF journey to get out of our recurrent miscarriage cycle. Praying and hoping for our rainbow soon!
6. No symptoms at all which made it worse. Didn’t find out until 14 weeks that the baby had stopped growing at 11 💔 I had no clue for 3 weeks that I had miscarried.
7. With my last I was almost 10 weeks and had horrible stomach pains. Called my dr to come check on the baby and the scan showed everything was great. I knew it wasn’t, but I wasn’t bleeding and there was just no cause for concern. I miscarried 2 days later
8. No symptoms. First two I found out through ultrasound babies had stopped growing all symptoms where still present. Last loss I used a home doppler daily and when I couldn't find his heartbeat I went to ER where it was confirmed he had passed I had just felt him moving around the night before as I was 18 weeks already.
9. Mild cramping and then spotting that continued into bright red blood.
10. No symptoms, missed miscarriage, we were at a scan to find out if we were having multiples. I continued to have all my pregnancy symptoms for another two months after finding out
11. No symptoms. Saw the heartbeat twice. Went in for a regular appointment and no heart beat. Ended up being a partial molar pregnancy. Felt pregnancy symptoms for months after. Couldn’t try again until we were cleared 7 months later. So much heartache.
12. Blindsided. Felt completely pregnant. Went to my second appointment and there was no heartbeat.
13. I’ll follow up with yes spotting can be normal for some but for me it was a tell tale. Spotting with all 5 of my angels was the first sign. No spotting with my 2 earthly babies...
14. No physical symptoms. I was getting blood draws and that’s when we started having an idea bc my levels were so low and not rising as they should.
15. First miscarriage, light spotting that increased with cramping overnight and passing tissue. Second and third, I was paying attention more and my breast tenderness went away a few days before I started spotting. Darker blood at first but because of my history I went in to the doctor same day for an ultrasound and found no heartbeat. My fourth miscarriage was developing very slowly and at 6 weeks was told that it has stopped growing.
16. Spotting that progressed over a week and then the cramping started
17. My breast was so sore and they got bigger really fast, that’s what helped me guess I was pregnant and then one day realized I wasn’t sore anymore and the night I was spotting, the next day was still spotting and by the end of the day was bleeding red... it was in Christmas Eve! Hardest day of my life!! 😭
18. Just an overwhelming feeling of something being wrong. Nightmares of losing my baby. And just overall not feeling pregnant anymore.
19. Period- like cramping that started to get worse, heavy bleeding. Actually I think I stopped feeling nauseous about 5 days prior.
20. First time - weird reaction from sonogram tech but didn’t find anything out until three days later when the dr called to say there was no heartbeat. Second time - bleeding after working out then spotting on and off. Sonograms all came back normal. Then told by sonogram tech that there was no heartbeat two weeks later at a checkup.Third time - totally blindsided by sonogram tech after everything was normal
21. My first physical sign was a decline in nausea and breast tenderness.
22. My first miscarriage I was expecting because I started bleeding. My second one I was totally caught off guard. I went into labor at 17 weeks.
23. Spotting, stabbing pain and loss of breast tenderness
24. Spotting all with sharp stabbing pains that would make me dizzy. I had those pains from week 6 on and I just knew in my heart my baby wasn’t mine to keep. I prayed constantly for God to protect him and not cause him pain and to let me bear his pain if I was not to hold him
25. I had brown spotting but everyone assure me it was fine. Then went for an ultrasound just to be sure and that’s when we found out his heart stopped
26. The ultrasound tech only taking a couple minutes to do a detailed ultrasound. It usually takes at least 10 minutes to get enough measurements for what they needed but she was so quick, I knew something was wrong. I cried and prayed while waiting for the doctor. And when he came in, his face said it all. Worst day of my life.
27. Recent one, I was blind sided, we got our positive 5 days past our first embryo transfer(mother’s day) and than on the 13th I went in for my first beta and it was low but I didn’t think much of it because I wasn’t super crampy or bleeding. Second beta number had dropped but not by much so clinic said go in for a third, exactly 1 week and 1 day ago and our number had plummeted this time. Just like that our miracles were gone 💔💔
28. Recognizing I no longer had symptoms and then spotting.
29. No symptoms - missed miscarriage. 10 week scan after ivf. Saw a heart beat at 6 week scan. The whole world stoped when I heard those words “ there’s no heartbeat”. Was told to wait for baby to pass, after 2 tortuous weeks nothing happened and I insisted on a surgical management of miscarriage. This was in January and I am still heartbroken.
30. Each miscarriage was different. The first one included painful cramps in the middle of the night and waking up covered in blood. The second, completely blindsided going into my 8 week appt and being told I was. For the third, first brown spotting and not too concerned, but then 2 days later bleeding. The fourth, blindsided again. Strong symptoms up to a few hours before my 12 week appt in which I started bleeding and it was confirmed. It was happening again.
31. Both times got the positive test then 9 days later bleeding started, 1st time blood levels were high then rose on the second test, doctor thought it could be ectopic and I had a scan showing baby very small, 23rd December had to wait until 2nd January for another scan told there was no heartbeat and was sent to my local hospital the miscarriage started on January 4th. Second miscarriage I just kept bleeding from week 5 and at my 7 week scan told the baby had gone. Heartbreaking I’m still heartbroken
32. I had the tiniest clot spotting. Went in for an ultrasound at 8 weeks to no heartbeat. I had a missed miscarriage at 8 weeks. Baby stopped developing at 4.
33. I had a lot of bleeding with clots off & on from 6w3d up until I miscarried at 9w. Every time I went for a scan, baby was fine and they could not find a cause. I did have some severe twinges the night before. I was out visiting a vendor the next morning when it happened. A coworker came to my rescue until my husband could come & get me. Baby was still fully intact in the sac.
34. 1st- test never got super dark and then the line went away completely. Major cramping and 2 months of bleeding followed. 2- just started bleeding. 3- really painful cramping. 4- was completely blind sighted. Had my final beta 2 days earlier and my levels were amazing. Woke up to spotting and went in for emergency bloodwork and ultrasound. My levels had started to drop and they couldn't find anything good on the ultrasound. Started to officially miscarry a few days later
35. Spotting at first was brown. All sources said it was normal to spot brown. But then I woke up with bright red blood and knew what was happening. It progressed more and then it finally happened. 😔
36. First miscarriage- hemorrhaging at 13 weeks. Went to the ER and baby was fine. Said my placenta pulled away a bit but if I took it easy I would be fine- went into labor at 16 weeks. OB Ward didn’t recognize it as labor and sent me home. 12 hours later, back at the hospital and I was fully dialated. 2nd miscarriage, heavy spotting and cramps at 8 weeks.
37. Cramping and bleeding. Not even spotting. It was just full on blood.
38. Had my first appointment at 11 weeks and baby was only measuring 7 weeks and no heartbeat. 💔 it wasn’t until 2 weeks later that I started bleeding and then I passed everything. And of course my husband was at work at the time and couldn’t come home. I just sat in the bathroom crying on the phone. It was the most horrific experience ever.
Looking back my symptoms did seem to disappear, but I didn’t really know at the time. Most likely chromosome abnormalities-we’re hoping and praying for a healthy baby soon, but I’m getting over the being too scared to start trying again. There are things I’d done and hopefully will do differently next time. Avoiding long drives and plane rides for one. Managing stress and anxiety, getting an appointment earlier even if it’s not with my preferred doctor.
39. Most recent miscarriage- we went for our first ultrasound and only had a gestational sac; no embryo 😓 Previous two, we didn’t even get to have an ultrasound because we lost them too early
40. I had no signs, had ultrasound to confirm pregnancy at 8 weeks. Went in for our 12 week check up and baby had no heart beat, he/she had stopped growing at 10W 3D.. I had all the first trimester symptoms still, waited two days and had a repeat ultrasound, I just couldn't believe i felt so pregnant and our baby was dead in my womb with no signs, I opted for the D&C following our 3rd and final ultrasound..
41. I was so, so sick the day before I started bleeding. I thought it was the start of morning sickness, my doctor said it was my body flooding my system with hormones and trying one last time to get my sweet baby to grow
42. I had terrible cramps and spotting the night before.
43. I was 11 weeks this past Easter Had first day of period cramps the night before. The next day I started bleeding. It was like normal period blood. Not spotting. Cramps got worse through out the day. By the evening I started hemorrhaging blood clots for a couple of hours. In less than 2 days I was no longer pregnant.
44. My cervix opened and baby boy was ready to come out into this world at 17 weeks . NO Pain and NO Bleeding . He wouldn’t survive if born too early
45. Spotting and terrible cramps
46. 15 weeks - Went in to check for a cyst and found the baby had no heartbeat.
10 weeks - Went to the first ultrasound and it only showed a yolk sac. Came back a week later and there was a heartbeat. At the 10 week appointment to monitor growth there was no heartbeat and I show symptoms of a molar pregnancy.
47. Completely blind sided. My tests came back positive. The first bloodwork my levels were low. Second time levels doubled. Third time we had no levels at all so we knew we lost the baby. It all happened so fast. That phone call was heartbreaking
48. with my second and third miscarriages we were monitoring my hcg numbers and progesterone. and they were dropping. 😔
49. It was an ivf pregnancy. I was bleeding at 5 weeks and went for multiple ultrasounds because I was having one sided pain. Baby was in the perfect spot in my uterus. After my 3rd ultrasound I was supposed to be 6w5d but baby was measuring 6w2d and had a heartbeat so we were told it’s a great sign baby was doing great. I was still having bleeding and was in the hospital every 2nd day. One week later I went for another ultrasound only to find out baby’s heartbeat had stoped.
50. 18 weeks and water broke unexpectedly.. Rushed to the hospital and was administered IV fluids for 2 days. Fluid level didn't increase at all. On April 6th, 2020 sweet baby girl was born into heaven.
51. Blind sighted. I went in for my ultrasound and they couldn’t find a heart beat. When they checked my HGC levels, they realized it only went up a couple hundred points instead of thousands. A week later I started bleeding and the miscarriage happened about a week after that.
52. Blind sided at 9 weeks and again my next pregnancy at 16 weeks. No bleeding. No cramps, all tests came back good. My babies hearts just stopped and we didn’t know
53. First two miscarriages I just had a feeling, something just wasn’t right. My most recent miscarriage I was blindsided. I think because the first two I had a feeling, I was already preparing my heart for that grief. This last one I was shocked, I didn’t process it for a few weeks because I was so blindsided.
54. Cramps, and then the blood flow out of me like my water broke. This February it happened while I was at work ... I still think about it everyday ... And on top of the my first son died of SIDS 15 years ago and his Birthday is May 30 he would of been 15 years old
55. Blind sighted. Went in for regular appt at 19.5 weeks and told me there was no heartbeat.. hard to deliver my sweet boy the next day
56. Made it to 36 weeks and woke up the next day feeling like something wasn’t right. Went in for an ultrasound and found no heart beat. Took two days to soften and open my cervix. Three pushes once he was ready and he was born into heaven. Angel baby. No reason found for his death. His heart just stopped.
57. First one, positive tests got lighter. Second one, cramping. Third one, we were blindsided at an ultrasound where there was no heartbeat (we had seen one a few days before). Fourth one, cramping.
58. I’m so sorry because I too know the heartache of a body that doesn’t match what’s happened- twice now. Second baby, our Eva Mae, was full of all the symptoms and I was totally blind sighted at 13 week ultrasound, was supposed to be the fun “end of first trimester” appointment... but ours was full on heartbreak. Fourth baby, just recently, our Amos, the symptoms were getting better and I thought it was totally normal but found at 8 week ultrasound that he no longer had a heartbeat. Two silent miscarriages, two precious babies now with Jesus!
59. With my first miscarriage, it was intense back pain. With my second, it was dark red bleeding.
60. Started very lightly spotting. They say don’t worry when it is brown because it is old blood, and spotting is common in pregnancy. Well.. it turns out brown can also mean miscarriage. In my case that is how it started 😰
61. My pregnancy tests didn’t get darker. Then I had some cramps.
62. Low heart rate at 6 week ultrasound, no one was worried except me. Loss of pregnancy symptoms at 9 weeks, no one was worried except me. Bleeding at 9 weeks 6 days, just a “threatened miscarriage.” US at 10 weeks and 5 days confirmed loss. Still hurts that my fears got pushed aside and were only listened to when it was too late.
63. A minuscule amount of brown spotting and ALL my pregnancy symptoms were gone from one day to the next. Belly flat as a pancake again, no sore breasts, no nausea anymore
64. I didn’t have cramps, but I had excruciating back pain. I knew what was happening, but I cried and prayed as hard as I could. Sadly to say, I called my doctor, and was told if I WAS miscarrying, there was nothing they could do.
65. First was after I got out the shower I started loosing fluid i didn’t know what the heck was happening I was pregnant with twins at this time I put myself on bed rest after 3 ER visits....I went to go visit a friend and was sitting in her living room when I felt a gush and sure enough went to the bathroom and it was blood like period blood! My husband rushed me to the ER my babies still had heart beats but a week later I went in for my first OB appointment since I was right in the middle of switching care and that’s when they told me at 19 weeks my babies didn’t have heartbeats😞😞 I ended delivering them the next day! It was the most heartbreaking thing to go through mentally emotionally & physically!!!!
66. First was after I got out the shower I started loosing fluid i didn’t know what the heck was happening I was pregnant with twins at this time I put myself on bed rest after 3 ER visits....I went to go visit a friend and was sitting in her living room when I felt a gush and sure enough went to the bathroom and it was blood like period blood! My husband rushed me to the ER my babies still had heart beats but a week later I went in for my first OB appointment since I was right in the middle of switching care and that’s when they told me at 19 weeks my babies didn’t have heartbeats😞😞 I ended delivering them the next day! It was the most heartbreaking thing to go through mentally emotionally & physically!!!!
67. Brown spotting for like 2 days and then heavy bleeding for my first one.
68. I was blind sided. I started bleeding heavy and passed our sweet boy within the hour😣. It all happened so fast it took me a few days to process it all
69. No symptoms at all. We didn’t find out until our 12 week ultrasound. We were totally blindsided. It was heartbreaking.
70. I had light brown spotting. Doctors said everything was fine but I just had a gut feeling it wasn’t on. I had a D&C 2 weeks later.
71. Cramping and spotting when I wiped. I knew something was wrong so I called my Dr. she wanted to see me. We took blood tests and by that time I was bleeding more. A few days later we found out we were having a miscarriage.
72. Insane migraine the night before and then cramping towards the end of the next day. Miscarried before I saw my last patient of the day at work.
73. Sharp cramp. I was at a business meeting alone, in Vienna. With a many I had literally just met. Such sharp pains and I remember thinking shit. I checked out from the meeting. Ran out of the office as soon as it was over and into a café. Once I was in the bathroom I saw. I ran out to the street to get a cab but the driver didn’t speak English. I was trying to explain it. He dropped me to a massive hospital. I was completely lost and terrified. It was horrific.
74. We found out during our 10 week check. Completely blindsighted. Strangely, something inside told me something was off, that day my suspensions were confirmed. I was heartbroken and in slight denial. I sobbed so loudly in the clinic.
75. Sharp spasm/cramps, then bleeding.
76. I had a dream, woke up and my pregnancy symptoms dissapeard
77. It was sudden for me. I was out for a walk and all of a sudden got very painful cramps and then a big gush. It was terrible.
78. My first I had intense back pain. I have never had that with any of my miscarriages since. Usually I notice a decrease in symptoms and then start spotting and cramping.
79. I’m with @ndymps and I’m so sorry because I too know the heartache of a body that doesn’t match what’s happened- twice now. Second baby, our Eva Mae, was full of all the symptoms and I was totally blind sighted at 13 week ultrasound, was supposed to be the fun “end of first trimester” appointment... but ours was full on heartbreak. Fourth baby, just recently, our Amos, the symptoms were getting better and I thought it was totally normal but found at 8 week ultrasound that he no longer had a heartbeat. Two silent miscarriages, two precious babies now with Jesus!
80. Totally blindsided. Went in for my 10 week OB appointment and they couldn’t find a heartbeat with the doppler. US confirmed baby had stopped growing a week prior.
81. Very light spotting for two days then nothing for two weeks. My numbers continued to go up but not quite double but my progesterone was very low. I miscarried two weeks after I first started spotting. 💔
82. My first there were no signs or symptoms. It’s what’s called a “missed miscarriage” and I only found out at our dating ultrasound that there was no heartbeat. The second time I started lightly spotting and I just knew immediately what was happening because I had already had one. Also both of those pregnancies I didn’t have any pregnancy “symptoms” really.
83. I had a gut feeling through the pregnancy. I had HCG that was doubling, but remained abnormally low, and when the spotting came, I just knew.
84. a week of significant bleeding, even though my OB at the time told me it was normal, my heart knew it wasn’t. A week later they performed an ultrasound and we found out she was gone.My second miscarriage started with immense cramps.
85. Dark discharge for two days followed by bleeding the next. But I'd worried the whole way through my pregnancy, was constantly googling statistics and signs and had nightmares of bleeding
86. he first loss I had slight easing of nausea at 8wks which I thought could be normal from online research but confirmed at 9.5wk scan- no heartbeat. Second loss hadn’t a single symptom - blighted ovum. Third loss no symptoms full on nausea, tiredness, sore boobs etc- confirmed preg @7.5wks. Preg symptoms still full blast 2weeks later but scan at 9.5wks heart stopped. All three missed/silent miscarriages. It’s so hard when our bodies keep us thinking we’re pregnant though our babies have passed.
87. I had a missed abortion so my baby was already dead for three weeks before we found out. But it started a week before I actually gave birth with some slight spotting. Then it stopped, we had the ultrasound, found out there was no heartbeat and four days later I was able to give birth ❤️
88.Cramping, but I already had a gut feeling something was wrong no matter how many times I was told everything was okay.
89. Very light bleeding which can be normal sometimes but wasn’t in my case.
90. Spotting when I wiped. Then I just knew.
91. Gut Feeling.
92. The first pregnancy I was blind sided, i was scared something might happen though, I just kinda had a feeling. Then I got HCG test back and the doctor called while I was teaching my fourth grade class. My second pregnancy I started cramping outside of church, cramping bad! I knew it was coming. Third pregnancy I expected something bad, the first trimester was a mental battle everyday all day! Now I am happily 15 weeks 🌈🌈 I still get scared but I leaned in on God and trusted in HIS plan for our life and just surrendered.
93. Spotting when I wiped & cramps. I knew there was something wrong when that started 😭
94. Light bleeding. I was told it was normal especially for twins. Went back to the dr and was told the same thing. Then went to a different dr where she told me that she didn’t think I would still be pregnant a week from that day. She was right.
95. I always lost all of my symptoms over night and I always had a gut feeling
96. Bleeding with clots
99. Spotting for a few days that got gradually heavier with clots, loss of symptoms and pregnancy tests getting lighter.
100. Completely Blind sighted.